What happens if you eat a lot of walnuts
Walnuts are not only famous for all the delicacy, but also have a large number of vitamins and other substances useful to the human body. However, despite its undeniable value, this food, like many others, has a daily intake. Therefore, in order to avoid damage to health, nuts should be consumed in moderation. What is it and whether there are contraindications for this product, is discussed below.
Chemical composition and calorie content
Supporters of traditional medicine have long known that walnut has an extensive chemical composition, which is why it is at the top of the list of products that are used in the treatment and prevention of many diseases. The main substance of the core is fatty oil, whose amount varies between 60-70%.
Important! The nutritional value of a product directly depends on the initial quality of the product and further proper storage.
The following are a number of useful substances, among which vitamins occupy a special place:
- A (8 mcg) - an antioxidant necessary for stabilizing the immune system, normal functioning of the organs of vision, healthy development of bone tissue, skin nutrition and hair strengthening;
- Group B (B1, B2, B5, B6, B9) - strengthen the cardiovascular system and central nervous system, have a positive effect on the functioning of the digestive tract;
- C (5.8 mg) - an element of the antioxidant group that strengthens the immune system, accelerates the healing process of wounds and normalizes metabolism;
- E (2.6 mg) - stabilizes the general condition of the cardiovascular system, accelerates the removal of toxins and improves the appearance of the skin;
- PP (1.2 mg) - reduces cholesterol, normalizes the functioning of the central and digestive systems;
- K (2.7 mcg) - improves blood coagulability;
- E (2.6 mg) - antioxidant, takes part in the development and formation of connective tissues, strengthens the walls of blood vessels.
In addition, in nuts there is a set of micro and macro elements: Fe (iron) - 2 mg, Zn (zinc) - 2.57 mg, I (iodine) - 3 μg, Cu (copper) - 527 μg, Mn (manganese) - 1.9 mg, Se (selenium) - 4 , 9 μg, F (fluorine) - 685 μg, Co (cobalt) - 7.3 μg, Ca (calcium) - 89 mg, K (potassium) - 474 mg, S (sulfur) - 100 mg, P (phosphorus) - 332 mg, Cl (chlorine) - 25 mg, Na (sodium) - 7 mg, Mg (magnesium) - 120 mg.
Did you know? The raw material for high-quality activated carbon is burnt walnut shells.
Useful properties and contraindications in use
- Walnuts have a lot of useful properties that are widely used in folk medicine. These fruits are used for:
- Strengthening immunity - a complex of vitamins allows you to support the body, which is especially important in the spring and autumn.
- Increased hemoglobin levels - rich in iron, zinc and cobalt, the product is often included in the diet on the recommendation of doctors to combat anemia.
- Prevention of cardiovascular diseases - the content of vitamins E and A allows not only to improve the functioning of all systems, but also to clear the vessels of cholesterol. In addition, the substances contained in the kernels of nuts significantly strengthen the walls of blood vessels.
- Improvements in the digestive system - in addition to stabilizing the work of the stomach and intestines, the presence of vegetable protein in the composition allows to eliminate constipation and improve the microflora, thereby preventing the development of dysbiosis.
- As a sedative, both kernels and shells are often used in various nut tinctures that have a calming effect.But they should be taken only after consulting a doctor.
- Treatment of diabetes - useful substances in the composition normalize the level of sugar and insulin in the blood, which are directly involved in the metabolism.
- Cancer prevention - thanks to antioxidants, the risk of developing cancer is minimized, as well as inflammatory processes in the body that can cause healthy cells to become malignant.
- Increased potency - vitamins E and P, as well as elements such as zinc, potassium and magnesium, have a positive effect on male sexual function.
- Relief of the entire period of pregnancy - nuts not only saturate the mother’s body with useful substances, which leads to the full development of the fetus, but also increase fat content and improve the taste of breast milk during lactation.
- However, as with all products, nuts have serious contraindications. Among them are noted:
- children under 5 years old;
- individual intolerance to the product;
- an allergic reaction to nuts;
- excess weight.
How to use walnuts
In order to get the maximum benefit from nuts, as well as not to harm health, it is worth knowing how to eat this product.
Did you know? In the stage of milk ripeness, a nut weighing 10–15 g contains about 100 mg of vitamin C, which corresponds to a double daily intake.
It is recommended to adhere to several rules:
- Most of the beneficial properties of nuts are lost during heat treatment, and therefore, they should be consumed either raw or dried (not more than 3-4 minutes in a pan or in the oven).
- Possessing initially high calorie content, this product is often sold also as sweets in various glazes. Such food can lead to obesity, and therefore it is better to introduce it into the diet in very limited portions and only in the morning.
- Mold or browning on the nuclei indicates the presence of a toxic enzyme that not only negatively affects health, but can also lead to the development of cancer cells.
- Nuts are best combined with various fruits, dried fruits and berries, while combining them with meat or fish is considered undesirable.
In order not to exceed the permissible norm, nutritionists advise eating no more than 100 g of nuts per day (or about 7 units of whole kernels). At the same time, children who are not allergic to this product can eat as many nuts per day as they fit in their palms. For better digestion and assimilation, it is advisable to chew nuts thoroughly.
Why you can not eat a lot of walnuts
Given all the useful properties of walnuts, a logical question arises: why can not you eat it without restrictions. This is due to the presence of fatty acids in the composition, which are a rather heavy product not only for the digestive system, but also for the liver. If you overeat, they can cause vomiting, nausea, diarrhea.
In especially severe cases, spasms of the vessels of the head can occur. Moreover, as side effects, stomatitis, inflammation of the tonsils, as well as various skin diseases, including psoriasis, eczema, and diathesis develop. Overdosing can have the following symptoms: liver pain, fever, headache, and intestinal discomfort.
Important! If desired, nuts can be replaced with purchased nut butter and added to food that does not undergo heat treatment (up to 3 tsp per day).
Walnuts are a fairly common product on the tables of our kitchen, and you can find them growing in almost every garden. The harvest of these trees is often quite plentiful, which leads to large stocks, which have nowhere to put. Often this is what causes overeating nuts.But you should always remember - everything is good in moderation, and even the most useful product can cause significant damage to health if you do not follow reasonable measures.