The benefits and harms of almond oil, how to use it in cooking and medicine
Almonds are a popular and healthy source of food and raw materials for cooking butter. You will learn about the methods of preparing a valuable product at home, its non-toxic and multipurpose health benefits and application in cooking from the article.
How to make almond oil
Almond oil is an organic product that is obtained from nuts, which are the seeds of the fruits of the same tree. They are high in healthy unsaturated fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, protein, and transfer these ingredients to the oil when they are cold pressed.
If you can’t find or afford almond oil on the market, or doubt that it is an organic product, then it is easy to cook it yourself at home, if you follow this instruction:
- Take well-dried almonds. Make sure that the nuts are not old and of high quality, without signs of spoilage, mold. Put them in a blender and grind first at low speed, gradually increasing it to high.
- During the grinding process, periodically stop the blender, and peel nuts that stick together in an oily lump.
- Continue to work until the almonds turn into a paste.
- Add 1 teaspoon of unrefined olive oil for better mixing. If the consistency of the paste is too thick and does not mix well, the amount of olive oil can be increased.
- When the pasta is ready, place it in any glass jar and leave it for 1-2 weeks at room temperature in order to separate the almond oil from the meal.
- The finished settled composition can be filtered and used as a component in culinary dishes and for cosmetic procedures as a basis in the preparation of masks, creams, lip balms and ointments.
Another way is to use a press to squeeze almond oil. Now on sale you can find hand presses - they are usually. small in size and really easy to operate to make oil at home.
Spin is carried out according to the instructions attached to the device:
- First you need to cook whole almonds along with the seed coat.
- Then install the press on a stable surface (for example, on a table).
- Before you put the almonds in the loading capacity of the device, you need to slightly warm the crate of the press.
- After the preparatory operations are completed, they begin to turn the handle to squeeze the oil component from the raw material.
- After preparation, the product may remain cloudy due to the presence of solid natural particles in it that are safe to use. But if desired, it can be left for another day - and the particles will settle.
- After that, it will become transparent, yellowish, almost odorless, but with a light characteristic nut flavor. Just pour the clarified oil into a jar or bottle.
- Store the product in a tightly closed dark container at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
The chemical composition and calorie content of almonds
The healing properties of the oil are completely dependent on the medicinal characteristics of the raw materials used in the manufacturing and pressing process. Various studies indicate that the nut has huge healing benefits: it is good for the heart, prevents cancer and has antioxidant ability, serves as a good product in weight loss diets, has a large supply of proteins, vitamins and minerals.
Nutritional and energy value of 100 g of product:
- calories - 579 kcal;
- proteins - 21.2 g;
- fats - 49.9 g;
- carbohydrates - 21.6 g;
- dietary fiber - 12.5 g;
- water - 4.4 g;
- mono- and disaccharides - 6 g;
- starch - 7 g;
- ash - 2.97 g.
|Vitamins||Macro and microelements|
|beta-carotene (lutein, zeaxanthin) - 20 mcg||calcium Ca - 264 mg|
|A (retinol) - 1 IU||magnesium Mg - 268 mg|
|B1 (thiamine) - 0.25 mg||sodium Na - 1 mg|
|B2 (riboflavin) - 0.65 mg||potassium K - 705 mg|
|B4 (choline) - 52.1 mg||Phosphorus P - 484 mg|
|B5 (pantothenic acid) - 0.469 mg||Fe iron - 3.72 mg|
|B6 (pyridoxine) - 0.143 mg||Zn Zn - 3.08 mg|
|B9 (folate) - 50 mcg||Cu Cu - 0.99 mg|
|C (ascorbic acid) - 1.5 mg||Manganese Mn - 2.285 mg|
|E (alpha-tocopherol) - 25.6 mg||Selenium Se - 2.5 mcg|
Almonds contain L-carnitine, riboflavin and phenylalanine - chemicals that increase cognitive abilities and mood. The rapidly absorbed amino acid phenylalanine supports the secretion of hormones that improve brain function, create new neural pathways and calm the system, increase mental activity, positive reflexes, improve memory, cerebral functions and thinking power.Recent studies show that almonds eaten in the morning can help lower blood sugar levels throughout the day.
Useful properties of almond oil
Although squeezed oil is not as rich in nutrients as whole nuts, it has its nutritional and energy value (per 100 g):
- calories - 884 kcal;
- saturated fats - 8.2 g:
- monounsaturated fats - 69.9 g:
- polyunsaturated fats (Omega-6, Omega-9) - 17.4 g;
- phytosterols - 266 mg.
- B4 (choline) - 0.4 mg;
- E (alpha-tocopherol) - 39.2 mg;
- K (phylloquinone) - 7 mcg.
The main chemical components providing the value of the oil, in relation to the total dry mass of the core, are acids:
- 62% oleic (Omega-9);
- 29% linoleic (polyunsaturated Omega-6);
- 9% saturated fatty acids (mainly palmitic).
The cold pressed product contains a lot of vitamin E and is an excellent source of magnesium, phosphorus and copper. An oil rich in antioxidants is known for its ability to combat free radicals and the aging of body cells.
It is also an anti-inflammatory that increases defenses and immunity, it improves memory, reduces the risk of diseases such as cancer and heart disease. It consists of phytosterols belonging to the group of steroidal alcohols that are organically present in plants and are responsible for normalizing healthy cholesterol levels.
- Among the most significant healing properties are:
- sedative and nutrient for all parts of the body (epidermis, blood circulation, musculoskeletal system, brain, muscle tissue);
Contraindications to the use of almond oil
Each drug, along with useful properties, has its own contraindications, and this tool is no exception. There are potential risks associated with the use of almonds and products made on its basis.
Individual intolerance, sensitivity to vegetable proteins and allergies to any kind of tree nuts and peanuts are the main reasons why the use of oil is not recommended.
Before using the product or applying it to skin care procedures, it is advisable to test by applying a small amount to the inside of the wrist.
Almonds are susceptible to mold producing aflatoxins, which are powerful carcinogenic chemicals produced by infection in the form of grayish-black filaments, similar to the resumption of growth. It is unsafe to eat mold-infected nuts and use them for squeezing.
The use of almond oil in medicine
The healing properties of almonds were known in antiquity, and modern medicine has confirmed the wide therapeutic effect of products based on it, whether it is milk, flour or butter.Due to its unique healing composition, the oil heals, facilitates the flow of many diseases, and is used in cosmetics as a basic carrier for addition to essential components before applying them to the skin and other areas of traditional and alternative medicine.
Oil is prescribed by practitioners and doctors both for internal use in the treatment and prevention of diseases, and in cosmetic procedures for the gentle care of skin, nails and hair and as a massage component. Almonds and their oil, when consumed, help to improve the functions of the amygdala of the brain (amidals), overcome depression, insomnia, phobias, anxiety, nervous tension and enhance emotional and psychosomatic functions.
Many herbalists use the almond product in natural recipes for antifungal and anti-inflammatory ointments. Topical application and massage treat muscle colic and pain in the body, it is an excellent organic remedy to relieve stress and increase cognitive functions when rubbing on the temples and forehead.
This emollient helps balance moisture absorption and water loss, is an indisputable and necessary component of many well-known lines of female cosmetic products - creams, masks used to improve and even complexion, increase skin tone and its natural texture and elasticity.
It is quickly absorbed, has a neutral aroma and is a powerful moisturizer for all skin types, so it can be applied to the face, body and dry areas of the elbows, legs, used as a means to gently remove makeup, clean pores and normalize the functioning of the sebaceous glands.
Numerous medieval and ancient books on medicine tell about the importance of almonds and its oils for treating various diseases and strengthening the body's natural immunity. For centuries, oil has been used to soothe the skin and treat minor wounds and cuts. It was used in ancient Chinese and Ayurvedic practices for the treatment of skin rashes, eczema, psoriasis.Its antibacterial properties, the presence of vitamin A and a high concentration of vitamin E cures acne, sunburn, reduces signs of aging, smoothes scars, stretch marks and hypertrophic scars after surgery, rejuvenates the skin and blocks the destruction of cell membranes. Burn surfaces are evenly lubricated with a mixture of almond and olive oils, taken in equal amounts.
The healing properties of the oil have a good effect on the hair and scalp. Hair becomes strong, soft, elastic, fluffy, gain volume and shine, less damaged and split at the ends. Effective properties against bacterial and fungal infections make it popular in the fight against microorganisms that cause the formation of dandruff - it moisturizes the scalp and cleanses the hair follicles.
And when lubricating eyelashes, the product prevents them from falling out, nourishes and stimulates growth. Almond oil is safe for everyone, even for young children. It is treated with seborrheic crusts on the baby's head, and then carefully combed out with a small comb. But not only the external manifestations are beneficially affected by the use of this useful product - it can be drunk and taken for 1 tsp. twice a day.
- This use of a medicinal product can ease the course of diseases and improve the general tone of the body:
- prevention of atherosclerosis, reducing the risk of cardiovascular disease by lowering cholesterol;
- gastrointestinal tract diseases, gastritis caused by high acidity;
- flatulence, constipation, heartburn - in order to improve the digestive system and intestinal motility;
- bronchitis, pneumonia - to soften and remove sputum;
- vascular diseases - varicose veins, hemorrhoids and capillary networks;
- muscle and joint pain - rheumatism, muscle tension due to irregular circulation, difficult birth, prolonged sitting in one place during work, rheumatoid arthritis;
- Diets and weight loss nutrition based on healthy unsaturated fats contribute to weight loss and well-being.
Dosage, regimen and duration of treatment should be agreed with the doctor to avoid unwanted effects. The use of oil does not imply a refusal to treat diagnosed diseases; they cannot replace the prescribed medications
Cooking Almond Oil
The cold-pressed product has a mild flavor and perfectly complements many dishes, giving them an almond note - salads, sauces, mayonnaises, sweet desserts, marinades, prepared cold vegetable snacks. Due to the high content of unsaturated fatty acids it can be used for frying, but it is too expensive for this, and high heat treatment temperatures reduce the value and aroma of the product. Therefore, it is better to consider it as a final ingredient and add to food after the end of the cooking process.
An exception may be refined (refined) oil with a smoke temperature of + 215 ° C, which can be used for cooking such as frying and stewing. But the refining process destroys most of the beneficial ingredients in unrefined almond oil and does not preserve its unique composition and properties.
Did you know? In Jewish culture, almonds were a symbol of new life, insight and hope because of its early flowering. Christian symbolism often uses almond branches in paintings and icons as a symbol of the Immaculate Conception of Jesus.
Almond oil is an invaluable gift of nature, a classic of cosmetic and health products. It has been one of the most popular products since ancient times and remains so in modern times. Having learned about how beneficial almond oil is, you will certainly use this product to strengthen your health and improve your appearance.