Features of Almond Pink Foam
In areas of the Moscow Region, central Russia, one can often see plantings of the decorative almond tree of the Pink Foam variety. Due to many advantages, this plant is cultivated quite often.
Almond Pink foam is also called Luisania, it is a low (up to 2 meters high) ornamental plant that resembles both a shrub and a tree. In spring, pink pink flowers grow and bloom densely on this plant.
The tree bears fruit. The name of the fetus is drupe, according to the description it has the shape of a nucleus with a velvety pericarp. The tree begins to produce its first fruits 4-5 years after planting.
According to gardeners, depending on the size and age of the tree, you can collect from 6 to 12 kg of useful kernels. Almond variety Pink foam got its name because of the color of the flowers.
Characteristic features of the variety:
- It is particularly resistant to frost, withstanding a temperature drop of -45 ° C.
- The bright color of the flowers attracts bees that collect pollen as a result.
- It does not require special conditions for growth, not whimsical care.
- Thanks to its decorative appearance and spectacular pink bloom, it will perfectly decorate any garden or yard.
- Fruits have many vitamins.
- The large roots of the tree prevent landslides.
Is almond edible pink foam
The kernels of this ornamental shrub are edible. They can be used in grated form as a seasoning, which will give the dishes a unique taste. When eating, it is important to consider the fact that, like any nut, this species is an allergen.
Important! Only dried fruits can be eaten. In their raw form, they contain hydrocyanic acid, which is harmful to health. The fetus becomes poisonous.
Three-lobed almonds are often planted in personal plots due to the beauty of flowering. The flowers densely cover the branches, have a bright pink color. The flowering structure is lush, velvety buds. The plant is often called the steppe sakura, as the flowers look like miniature roses.
Before planting this variety in open soil, it is important to choose the right place and good soil. The land at the place of growth should be quite soft, loose (ideal options are loamy and sandy loamy soils).
Water and air in such soil will flow to the rhizome without any problems. The growth of this variety is not possible in heavy soil. It is also important to try to grow the tree in a place where underwater is as close to the surface of the earth.
Planting can be carried out twice a year - in the spring, in May, when the air temperature will be warm enough, and in the fall, at the end of October, when the trees will throw off the foliage. Gardeners, guided by personal experience, recommend planting seedlings in the fall. It was at this time that young seedlings easier to tolerate planting and better accepted.
The growth, development, fruiting will depend on the correct place of planting of this almond variety. The most important condition for this choice is an open, well-lit area. The dimming of this variety by neighboring trees is unacceptable.
A shadow is possible only 3 hours a day. Also note that the landing site should not be in a large draft. Strong winds adversely affect the tree, can break off branches.
Did you know? Northern China is considered the birthplace of the ornamental plant, from where travelers brought the plant back in the 19th century.
Step-by-step stages of almond tree planting (finished seedling):
- Prepare a hole of the desired size with a depth of 30-50 cm (depending on the size of the root).
- At the bottom, place drainage from pulp, expanded clay with the addition of sand.
- It is necessary to pour a substrate fertilized with manure on the drainage, distribute and spread the roots well on it.
- Cover with a ball of soil, but make sure that the root neck is at a depth of 10 cm from the surface of the earth cover.
- The distance between the trees should be 3 m, between the rows of 5-6 m;
- Water the landing site well with water (10-15 liters), if possible, mulch the root zone with peat.
In order for the trunk of the future almond tree to be flat, after planting it needs to be tied to a support (wooden, metal).
Quality seeds for planting can be purchased at a specialized store or use ripened fruits, harvested independently. The kernels need to be planted immediately after harvesting. Seeds before planting need stratification - exposure at a low temperature of -5 ° C in the refrigerator for about 3 months.
Reproduction using layering occurs as follows:
- the branch must be bent to the ground, using a wire in the form of an arc to fix it;
- the places of contact of the branch with the soil should be sprinkled with earth, watered;
- after the cuttings take root (about a year later), dig out the cuttings and transplant.
In the process of growing cuttings, it is necessary to constantly water them, take care of the place where the layering grows.
The quality and success of the good growth of this ornamental plant is timely watering, top dressing and pruning. During the season a few top dressings will be enough, namely soil fertilizers. The first may be mulching the soil with manure. It will retain moisture at the rhizome and during irrigation will give the plant all the beneficial substances.
Check out more
After 3 weeks, you can water the plant with this bait:
- 10 l of water (warm);
- 10 g of urea;
- 20 g of ammonium nitrate.
All components mix and water the plant once a month. Watering should be moderate. On sandy soils, more frequent due to the rapid evaporation of moisture. On heavier soils, it is important to prevent stagnation of water.
When watering, it is advisable to take into account that a sufficient norm for one plant is 7-10 liters. For the winter period, it is better to tie the branches of a decorative tree so that in winter they do not break under a layer of snow or from icing.
To avoid pests on the tree (leafworms, codling moths, aphids), diseases (moniliosis, gray rot) necessary:
- delete "suspicious" branches on which traces of lesions are noticed (they need to be burned);
- monitor the state of the crown of the tree, carry out sanitary pruning;
- to clear the ground under a tree of foliage, in which pests can live;
- avoid stagnation of water in the rhizome and excessive moisture.
If pests are already noticed, the tree needs to be treated with insecticides (Ampligo, Aktara, Vertimek, including biological) purchased in specialized stores. When working with them, it is important to follow the instructions in the manual and monitor safety. If the defeat of the foliage is not critical, you can turn to folk methods: use a solution of laundry soap with water.
The solution is to do this:
- grate 300 g of laundry soap (75%) on a coarse grater;
- pour chips with two liters of warm water;
- add 8 l of cold water to the resulting concentrate.
To process foliage with this solution. To prevent the appearance of pests in the tree bark, in the spring you need to process the trunk with lime.
Important! To purchase high-quality planting material, you need to contact professional gardeners or in proven nurseries.