Description and features of the use of gray talker mushroom
One of the lesser-known species of edible fungi is gray talker or Clitocybe nebularis. In numerous photographs on the Internet, it is clearly visible among the leaves and grass, contains many useful substances and has a spicy taste, but you need to eat it with caution. The botanical description of the gray talker, its useful and harmful properties, as well as the features of the use of the mushroom in cooking and medicine, are listed further in the article.
Where does the mushroom grow and what does it look like
The gray talker is also called smoky or gray-smoky row. It belongs to the Ryadkov family, the genus Govorushki, and differs from other types of mushrooms by a specific coating on the surface of the cap.
A description of the appearance of the gray talker is presented below:
- The height of the fungus is 3–10 cm. Outside, the fruit body is covered with a matte skin, on which there is a powdery coating. Its amount decreases as the fungus ages.
- The leg is cylindrical in shape, its diameter is from 1.5 to 4 cm. Near the hat, it narrows slightly, and at the base has a slight thickening.
- The hat is round, hemispherical, can reach 20 cm in diameter. Its thin and wavy edges are turned inward, and in the center is a small tubercle.
- The bottom surface of the hat is formed by straight plates located close to each other. They go a little on the upper part of the leg and are painted in a creamy white color.
- Spores of gray talkers have a smooth surface and an oval shape, white or cream tone.
- The color of the fungus can be gray, smoky, or ash brown. During rain, the fruit body acquires a dark color.
- The flesh of the govorushka gray has a fibrous structure, is colored white, does not darken at the site of the cut. In the leg it is porous, and in the area of the cap it is denser, it easily breaks.
- The mushroom exudes a characteristic floral aroma reminiscent of the smell of shampoo or soap.
- After cooking, the talker has a pleasant sweet taste with light spicy notes.
- The fruiting period lasts from August to the second decade of October.
Gray talker grows in regions with a temperate climate.
Did you know? One of the most unusual types of mushrooms is the Reddish Talker (Clitocybe rivulosa). At night, it emits a faint, pale green light.
You can find it in such places:
- coniferous or mixed forest;
- edges and glades;
- roadsides of paths and small roads;
- near felling tree.
Edible or not
The gray talker belongs to conditionally edible mushrooms. Its pulp should not be eaten raw due to the high content of the toxic substance nebularin. During the heat treatment, the toxin is neutralized, but eating these mushrooms in large quantities is not recommended. In cooking, usually only smoky rowing caps are used, and the stiff leg is removed.
Important! For use in food, only young fruiting bodies collected in ecologically clean areas are suitable, since over time the flesh of the smoky row accumulates toxic salts of heavy metals.
The smoky talker is considered a low-quality mushroom and in the photo looks inconspicuous, but belongs to dietary products.
Nutrition value of 100 g of pulp:
- calorie content - 30 kcal;
- proteins - 3.7 g;
- fats - 1.7 g;
- carbohydrates - 1.1 g.
In addition, the pulp of smoky rowing contains such important elements:
- vitamins B1, B2, B4, B5, B6, B9, D, D2, PP;
- trace elements - iron, selenium, zinc, copper, manganese;
- macroelements - calcium, sodium, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium;
- monosaccharides and disaccharides, glucose, starch;
- essential amino acids - phenylalanine, valine, histidine, leucine, methionine, lysine, isoleucine, threonine, arginine, tryptophan;
- essential amino acids - glycine, cysteine, alanine, proline, tyrosine, serine, glutamic and aspartic acid;
- saturated fatty acids - arachinic, capric, palmitic, behenic, stearic, pentadecanoic, myristic, margarine, lignoceric;
- monounsaturated fatty acids - Omega-9, myristoleic, palmitoleic;
- polyunsaturated fatty acids - Omega-6, linoleic.
Did you know? The most poisonous variety of rows is the Leaf-Loving Talker (Clitocybe phyllophila). Its flesh has a pleasant taste and smell, but causes severe intoxication of the body, which can lead to death.
Useful properties of the mushroom
Due to its rich chemical composition, smoky rowing has a beneficial effect on the human body.
- The product has the following beneficial properties:
- improves the functioning of the digestive system;
- strengthens the immune system;
- reduces the risk of malignant tumors;
- enriches the body with vitamins and nutrients;
- helps to eliminate toxins;
- has an antibacterial effect;
- stimulates the metabolism;
- promotes muscle recovery after physical exertion;
- tones the body and improves mood;
- strengthens bones and tooth enamel;
- beneficial effect on the brain;
- prevents the occurrence of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
Gray talker can be added to various dishes, subjecting it to preliminary heat treatment, as well as to prepare canned snacks from the mushroom. Before use, fruiting bodies must be thoroughly washed in water, cleaned of adhering debris and insects. From smoked row you can make nutritious side dishes, spicy sauces, salads, add to meat dishes.
Important! During cooking, the gray talker boils heavily and loses about 50% of its original volume.
Mushrooms can be prepared in various ways:
- cooking - peeled govorushki dipped in a pot of boiling, salted water and boiled for 30–35 minutes;
- frying - mushrooms are boiled in boiling water for 10 minutes, and then fried in a pan with the addition of oil, onions and spices;
- roasting - peeled smoked rows are first cooked, then cut into thin plates, placed on a baking sheet with meat or vegetables and put in a preheated oven;
- pickling - mushrooms are cut into pieces and boiled in a marinade of water, vinegar and spices for 30 minutes, and then stacked in sterilized jars and rolled up with metal lids;
- drying - the govorushka is washed and wiped dry, cut into thin plates and laid on a baking sheet, and then the mushrooms are dried in the oven with the door ajar at a temperature of 75 ° C to 100 ° C for several hours.
The substance nebularin, contained in the flesh of a govoroshka sulfur, is a natural antibiotic that is used in the pharmaceutical industry for the manufacture of medicines. In addition, mushrooms are used in folk medicine.
From them are prepared:
- ointments to improve skin condition and quick healing of wounds;
- extracts that help with urolithiasis and colds.
Possible harm from the fungus
When eating raw mushrooms or as a result of their improper preparation, severe digestive disorders occur, accompanied by diarrhea, dizziness, vomiting and weakness.
- Gray talker is contraindicated in children, and an adult should not eat these mushrooms in such cases:
- pregnancy and lactation;
- increased intestinal irritability;
- gastrointestinal acidity disorders.
If symptoms of mushroom poisoning appear, you should immediately consult a doctor. A smoky govorushka can become a tasty and useful addition to the diet, if you cook it correctly and eliminate possible contraindications. By carefully studying the information presented in the article, you can accurately distinguish this mushroom from other species, competently conduct its heat treatment and eat the product without negative consequences for the body.